Wednesday, April 16, 2008

 

Split This Rock - It was something else





These are the incomparable Patricia Smith and Alix Olson each reading a line as part of the group poem we created, a Cento, in front of the White House on Easter Day, March 23, 2008.


It's been almost a month, and I'm still digesting everything that went down. On Sunday 134 people created this poem. It followed a magnificent reading by Galway Kinnell and Naomi Ayala. In researching Kinnell so I could introduce him, I learned that one of his earliest jobs was in the Civil Rights movement, working for CORE, the Congress of Racial Equality. The shoulders on which we build this work.


I have been trying to overcome exhaustion and then the worst cold that ever knocked me upside the head, and so I can't write much here - yet. But I will.


In the meantime, check out http://www.splitthisrock.org/ to see some other great photos by Jill Norton and for links to some of the great press coverage and blog reports. We'll be getting a lot more of the same up on the site over the next couple of weeks, so keep checking.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?