Sunday, December 09, 2007

 

Weirding Word On Writers


At Weirding Word, we believe that “language creates reality.” How does language create reality in your life? In your writing?

SB: I think as writers we always have to struggle to maintain an authentic language, especially in a culture that is drowning in the language of commerce, the language of propaganda, the language of subtle coercion. These are dead, artificial languages. We have to wrestle with language, keep it on its toes, keep it alive. That's what gives me the greatest shot of pleasure -- when I feel like I'm engaging the language, and if I'm lucky, and working hard, maybe, just maybe, doing something a little bit new.

Read Part II of Gaea Honeycutt's interview with me here: http://weirdingword.typepad.com/weirding_word/2007/12/weirding-word-s.html

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?