Friday, July 20, 2007

 

"Get Proud by Practicing" - July is anniversary of ADA

For me and many other crips, July 26 is our Independence Day. We think of our lives as being divided between the time before and after the ADA. In the late 1980s, I was asked to leave a coffee shop one day. What had I done to merit being thrown out? Nothing. The owner thought that a blind woman eating a tuna sandwich would be “too depressing for the other customers.” Then, I had no legal redress. Today, if this happened, I’d have the ADA.

- Kathi Wolfe

Read poet Kathi Wolfe's op ed on the disability rights movement, its relationship to the gay rights movement, and its centrality in the struggle for social justice: in the Washington Blade here.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?